This recipe serves eight to 10.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 Tsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ Tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. ice water, or as needed
Honey Black Walnut Filling
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped black walnuts
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
Method of Preparation
- To make the tart crust: Lightly coat a 9-inch, removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Pulse the flour, sugar, salt and butter in a food processor until mixture is crumbly and forms pea-sized lumps. Add the egg and mix until the dough just comes together. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough disk into a 1/4-inch-thick, 12-inch round. Transfer to the prepared tart pan and gently press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of pan; trimming any overhanging dough. Place the pan in the freezer and chill for 15 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling in the freezer, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line the tart shell with parchment paper and enough pie weights or beans to fill the bottom of the shell. Bake the dough for 15 minutes, remove the parchment paper and weights, and continue to bake until lightly golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- While the crust is cooling, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- To make the filling: Whisk together the eggs, honey, butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Place the prepared tart shell, in its pan, on a baking sheet. Evenly line the bottom of tart with walnuts. Pour the filling over the walnuts and rake with a fork to evenly distribute. Bake until the filling is set in the center, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
- Note: If the crust is done before the filling is set, loosely cover the tart edges with foil and continue to bake.
- Variation: For convenience, you can also use a high-quality store-bought piecrust.
The Willows Bristol Double Tree by Hilton