- 1 1/2 cups cubed French bread-1/2” cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced native tomatoes
- 1 cup diced fresh peeled, seeded cucumbers
- 1/4 cup onion-diced or sliced very finely
- 12 basil leaves-cut into little strips or torn by hand
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar-or any favorite vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic-mashed to a paste using kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- To taste salt, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss the diced bread with the first measure of olive oil, seasoning to taste with salt, black pepper and Herbes de Provence. Spread out in an even layer on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until medium golden, crisp on the outside, but soft at the center. Reserve.
Combine in a large bowl, the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, and basil.
Make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar and garlic. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to make smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the tomatoes and let marinate 5 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
Serve at room temperature and enjoy! This recipe serves four people.
You can visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page here.