For the pickled rhubarb:
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb-cut into 2” by 1/3” sticks
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
Place the rhubarb into a 1 pint canning jar. Bring the water and vinegar up to a boil. Add the sugar. Stir to dissolve and return to a boil. Carefully ladle the boiled mixture into the jar with the rhubarb, let cool, top with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Reserve for crostinis.
For bread and toppings:
- 1 French bread loaf-baguette Style
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or your favorite oil
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup finely sliced onions
- To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400F. Slice bread into about 1/4 inch thick slices. Lay all 24 slices out on cookie sheet. Brush with the olive oil on both sides and season top side with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes until they turn a light golden brown.
Taste Of Today
To assemble, spread each bread slice with a small amount of cottage cheese. Top with shredded lettuce and finish with some of the pickled rhubarb. Makes 24 hors d’oeuvres. Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page here.