- 1 Acorn squash-smaller size one if available
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Cup onions - diced
- 1/2 Cup celery - diced
- 1/2 Cup Carrots - diced
- 1/2 Cup apples - diced
- 3 Cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Cup apple juice or cider
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preparation (Serves Four):
- Slice squash in half, scoop seeds out (seeds may be toasted and used for garnish) and place cut side down on cookie sheet. Moisten pan with less than1/4” of water, cover with foil, and roast in 400° F. oven for 45 minutes or until tender. When tender, flip squash over, let cool slightly, and scoop out the roasted squash meat.
- In soup pot over medium high heat, add olive oil . Add the onions, celery, carrots, and apples. Cook for about 4 minutes or until softened and sweet smelling. Add the roasted acorn squash, the chicken broth and apple juice. Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 15 minutes until all ingredients are tender.
- Transfer soup to blender or use a hand blender to purée soup to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, or Greek yogurt and toasted squash seeds.
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculilnary.com