- 1/2 onion, small diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup packed chopped Italian parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dry oregano
- 1/3 cup Japanese breadcrumbs
- 28 ounces of tomato sauce
- Saute onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat about five minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Stir garlic into the onion and turn off the heat. Transfer the onion mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir ground veal, ricotta cheese, parsley, egg, kosher salt, black pepper and oregano with the onion mixture until almost combined. Stir in the bread crumbs and continue to mix until thoroughly blended.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons of mixture into a 1-inch ball for each meatball. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in the same skillet used to cook onions. Place the skillet over medium heat and brown the meatballs on all sides in hot oil, about five minutes. Hold a crumpled paper towel in a tongs and use it to remove excess grease from skillet
- Pour tomato sauce over the meatballs in the skillet. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes.