Indulge in an enticing sampler of recreational activities, culinary delights, retail opportunities and all the island has to offer during the first annual “A Taste of Block Island” from June 12 to 14.
About 50 participating retailers will offer 10 to 15 percent discounts and one merchant will set up a wheel, allowing patrons to spin to win discounts of 1 to 30 percent.
Here are some of the perks:
- Participating hotels are offering discounted rooms for overnight stays that weekend.
- Rent one moped or bicycle and get a second rental free.
- A photographer will take portraits for a discounted rate.
- Some real estate agencies will set out lemonade and cookies for visitors.
- Finn’s Fish Market will offer a class on “Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Lobster but Didn’t Know Who to Ask.”
- The Scone Lady will provide free scones and a class in bread baking at the local farmers’ market.
There are also discounted kayaking tours, $5 paddleboard demonstrations, dinner specials, wine tastings, gallery openings, nature walks, a twilight walk and night sky viewing (bring a lawn chair, flashlight and blanket).
Some money-saving specials require pre-registration. All require the purchase of a $5 button, which will entitle visitors to numerous discounts at participating hotels, restaurants, retail shops, galleries and other locations.
“Every day is great on Block Island but we wanted to create something special to bring visitors here who have never been here before,” Cullen said. “Once they’ve come here, we’re confident they’ll discover how beautiful and unique an experience it is and they’ll continue to come back with family and friends for the rest of their lives.”