Several cities and towns have warming centers opens as the wintry weather persists.
Bloomfield: Alvin & Beatrice Wood Human Services Center, 330 Park Avenue, opened at 8 a.m. on Monday and will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Phone: 860-243-8361. Use the Senior Center entrance at the rear of the building. The town will provide water, but residents are asked to bring their own food. Bring medications, emergency contact phone numbers, and any other items you may need during the day. Service dogs are always welcome.
Hartford: The city will open warming centers if frigid temperatures expected this weekend continue into next week. Anyone in need of shelter is urged to call 211. If temperatures remain below 25 degrees on Monday, the following warming centers will be open:
- North End Senior Center: 80 Coventry St., 9:30a.m. To 3 p.m., (860)757-0801
- South End Wellness Center: 830 Maple Ave., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., (860)757-0840
- Parkville Senior Center: 11 New Park Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., (860)232-7867
- Hispanic Senior Center: 45 Wadsworth St., 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., (860)493-6566
- Hispanic Health Council: 175 Main St., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., (860)527-0856
The following permanent shelters will be open 24 hours a day during the inclement weather:
- McKinney Shelter: 34 Huyshope Ave., (860) 722-6922
- Immaculate Conception Shelter: 560 Park St., (860) 724-4823
- South Park Inn: 75 Main St., (860) 724-0071
- pen Hearth: 437 Sheldon St., (860)525-3447
Norwalk: The Norwalk Public Library at 1 Belden Avenue and South Norwalk branch at 10 Washington Street and community room at the Norwalk Police Department at 1 Monroe Street will be available for people who "need warming assistance," town officials said.
Simsbury: The town has extended two warming centers through Feb. 9.
The Simsbury Public Library at 725 Hopmeadow Street will be open as a warming center from 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Eno Memorial Hall, where the senior center is located at 754 Hopmeadow Street, will also be open as a warming center 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Tuesday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday. Call the Simsbury Social Services Department at 860-658-3283 for more information.
Other municipalities have said shelters and warming centers will open up as needed. Anyone in need of shelter is urged to call 211.