Fairfield Firefighters Extinguish Oven Fire

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Fairfield Fire Department
    Fairfield firefighters put out a kitchen fire on Tuesday evening.

    Fairfield firefighters put out a kitchen fire on Tuesday evening.

    The Fairfield Fire Department responded to Unit 89 in the Sunnyridge Apartments complex at 240 Sunnyridge Avenue at 7:09 p.m. on Tuesday after receiving reports of an oven fire, fire officials said in a news release.

    Fairfield Fire Lt. Scott Trembley arrived first on scene and witnessed heavy smoke rising from the back of the multi-unit apartment building, according to the fire department. A gas line connected to the stove was damaged and leaking and that likely "contributed to the fire extension,' according to fire officials. Fire crews shut off the gas meter and extinguished the fire with a hose.

    Emergency personnel examined a neighbor for potential smoke inhalation, but the individual declined medical treatment, fire officials said. The identity of that person was not released.

    The Southern Connecticut Gas company also responded. Inspector hank Ference conducted a fire investigation at the scene and Fairfield Building Official Tom Connelly also responded to take a look at the electrical system. Fairfield police were also notified.

    No injuries were reported.

    Fire crews left the scene at 9 p.m. on Tuesday.