Ireland has long celebrated St. Patrick's Day, or St. Patty’s Day, has a religious holiday, but you can thank people who came to the U.S. from Ireland for making it the holiday it has become.
You don’t have to look further than Connecticut to find excuses to put on your green attire.
If it’s a parade you’re in the mood for, CT has got it covered across the state.
Hartford: If you’re worried about the weather literally raining on your parade, head down to the 41st annual Greater Hartford St. Patrick's Day Parade – rain or shine it won’t be canceled. The parade begins at 11 a.m. on March 10 at Capitol Avenue by the State Capitol, takes a left on Main Street, a left on Asylum Street, a left on Ford Street, and then ends by the Memorial Arch.
- When: Saturday, March 10 at 11 a.m.
- Where: at Capitol Avenue, Main Street, Asylum Street and Ford Street, and then ends by the Memorial Arch.
- Price: Free
- Website: http://www.irishamericanparade.com/
Stamford: The 17th annual Saint Patrick’s Day Parade in Stamford will be held on Saturday, March 10 at noon. The parade starts on North Street between Summer and Bedford streets and ends at the Old Town hall. The procession will include around 80 marching units, so bring your dancing shoes.
- When: Saturday, March 1 at noon
- Where: North Street, Stamford
- Price: Free
- Website: http://www.stamfordstpatricksdayparade.com/
New Haven: New Haven Parade started all the way back on March 17, 1842 and is said to be the 6th oldest parade in the nation. It starts on Derby Avenue and Chapel Street at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 11.
- When: Sunday, March 11 1:30 p.m.
- Where: Derby Avenue and Chapel Street, New Haven
- Price: Free
- Website: http://www.stpatricksdayparade.org/parade2012/
Bridgeport: The 2012 Greater Bridgeport St. Patrick’s Day Parade begins at noon on Friday March 16. Before and after the parade, there will be a grand marshal’s breakfast at 10 a.m. and lunch at 1 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom at the Bridgeport Holiday Inn, with performances by the Sheeaun Academy of Irish Dance, the Fairfield County Pipe band and others. Breakfast and lunch are by advance tickets only.
- When: Friday, March 16 at 10 a.m.
- Where: Grand Ballroom at the Bridgeport Holiday Inn, Bridgeport
- Contact: Elizabeth Power (203) 255-0257
- Price: Parade – Free, Breakfast – $15, Lunch – $20
- Website: http://www.st.patricksdayparade.net/
Danbury: The Great Danbury Ancient Order of Hibernian’s 2012 St. Patrick's Day Parade will be held on March 25 commence at 2 p.m. The parade will start at Rogers Park and in the Town Hall parking lot at 3 p.m.
- When: Sunday, March 25 at 2 p.m.
- Where: Rogers Park, Danbury
- Contact: (203) 739-0010
- Price: Free
- Website: http://www.gdicc.org/events.htm
If you still haven’t gotten your St. Patrick’s Day parade fix there are a few other towns hosting parades including: Meriden on Saturday, March 24 at 1 p.m., Mystic on Sunday, March 25 at 1 p.m. and Greenwich on Sunday, March 25 at 2 p.m.
For those who want a way to celebrate St. Patty’s Day other than parades, not to worry. Connecticut has those too.
Hartford and New Haven: Pubcrawls.com is sponsoring two pub crawls in each city. The first, on Friday March 16, is the Happy Hour Saint Patty’s Pub Crawl. The second, on Saturday March 17, is the Luck of the Irish St. Paddy’s Day Pub Crawl. All who choose to participate must first register at Black Bear Saloon in either Hartford or New Haven, depending on which city you decide to do the pub crawl in. Though each crawl begins at Black Bear, that is just the first stop – there are 15 bars participating in the Hartford pub crawl and eight in the New Haven one. Two different drink specials are also available before 9 p.m. and afterward.
- When: Friday, March 16 at 5 p.m. and Saturday March 17 at noon.
- Where: Black Bear Saloon, Hartford or New Haven
- Contact: (212) 724-3900
- Price: $10 for one day, $20 for a 2-day all access pass, Group rates also available
- Website: http://www.pubcrawls.com/saint-pattys-pub-crawl.php
Norfolk: The Irish Comedy Tour is coming to the Infinity Music Hall and Bistro in Norfolk on March 16 at 8 p.m. The show, recommended for audiences over the age of 17, tries to bring the loud party feel of a Dublin pub to America through the use of comedy. The comedians, Derek Richards, Mike McCarthy and Keith Aherne, just released a DVD called Dublin’ Over and have been performing all across the country. If you’re looking for a good laugh for St. Patrick’s Day don’t miss this show.
- When: Friday, March 16 at 8 p.m.
- Where: Infinity Music Hall and Bistro Route 44, 20 Greenwoods Road, Norfolk
- Contact: (860) 542-5531
- Price: $25 for Stage Level, $35 for Mezzanine
- Website: http://www.infinityhall.com/events/the-irish-comedy-tour/
Hartford: If you’re looking to take it easy or simply enjoy some music on St. Patrick’s Day, then head over to The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts for their Saint Patrick’s Day Celebration on Saturday, March 17. The show starts at 8 p.m. and will feature Conductor Gerald Steichen, Guest Artist Robert White and Jeanne Freeman playing the Irish Fiddle. Don’t forget to wear green, after all it’s still St. Patty’s Day!
- When: Saturday, March 17 at 8 p.m.
- Where: The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts, 166 Capitol Ave., Hartford
- Contact: (860) 244-2999
- Price: $25, Student tickets – $10
- Website: http://www.bushnell.org/index.cgi/52366
Metro-North is offering special St. Patrick's Day parade service on the Port Jervis Line for the parade on March 17. The parade starts at 11 a.m.