No, they weren't bitten by vampires. But flashing lights in "Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part One" reportedly caused seizures for some theatergoers.
At least two people had photosensitive epileptic-like reactions while watching Bella Swan give birth to her vampire spawn in the popular "Twilight" movie, according to reports. As Kristen Stewart's character struggles for her life while in labor, red and white lights flash across the screen.
Brandon Gephart of Sacramento told CBS he was watching the Twilight film with his girlfriend and had a seizure during the intense scene. The Californian said he didn't remember anything until he woke up, but girlfriend Kelly Bauman said he was "convulsing, snorting, trying to breathe."
"He scared me big time," she said. CBS Sacramento reported paramedics took him to the emergency room and the theater had to cancel the rest of the movie for that showing.
In Utah, a husband and wife told ABC-4 in Salt Lake City that the same bright lights caused her husband to shake and pass out.
"I didn't really remember what happened after that, I think I blacked out," he told the station. "According to her, I was shaking and mumbling different noises."
His wife added, "He started mumbling and he was blinking on and off with his eyes at that point. I was kneeling in from of him slapping his face."
Dr. Michael G. Chez told CBS News the theatergoers likely had photosensitive epilepsy, a rare condition in which flashing lights can cause seizures.
"It's like alight going off because it hits your brain all at once," he said. "The trouble with theaters is that they're so dark, the light flashing in there is more like a strobe light."
The incidents are extremely rare, however. Most of the people who see the high-grossing film make it through completely conscious.