If only they had known before the fire. Investigators said they have found fire code violations at Shelton High School.
Two assistant town fire marshals said they found the violations during an inspection after a fire that damaged the building last week.
The violations include non-working smoke detectors and some fire doors that couldn't be opened. Shelton Fire Marshal James Tortora said some of the violations listed in the report have already been fixed.
A carelessly discarded cigarette is being blamed for the Dec. 30 fire.
Students were given an extra week off for their holiday vacation until the building could be repaired. They're expected to return to class on Monday.