This recipe makes four individual pies.
- 2 Cups Winter Squash-measured after peeling, seeding, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 Cups Apples- baking variety, measured after peeling, seeding, cut into ½” pieces
- 3 Tbsp. Butter-melted
- ½ Cup Granulated for Sugar in the Raw
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 8 Phyllo Sheets
- ½ Cup Butter-melted
- As Needed Granulated Sugar or Sugar in the Raw (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°f. Prepare filling by tossing together in a bowl the squash, the first measures of butter and sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven until nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and reserve for assembling the pies.
- For each pie, lay out one sheet of phyllo dough. Brush a thin layer of the second measure of melted butter on the entire sheet.
- Place another sheet of phyllo on top of this sheet. Butter half of this sheet and fold in half crosswise. This will create 4 layers, with a thin layer of butter in between.
- Butter half of this folded sheet and fold again, creating 8 layers.
- Place ¼ of the cooled squash and apple filling at the center of each square of folded phyllo dough. Gather up the sides around the filling. Lightly butter the edges of the individual pie.
- Place on a baking rack set over a cookie sheet. Repeat with the three other pies. Sprinkle each with more sugar if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook Page.