- ½ Cup Chopped Clams-fresh steamed and chopped or canned/frozen
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
- 3 tsp. Water
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- 2 New England Style Hot Dog Roll-buttered, toasted, cut in half crosswise to get 2 servings out of one roll
- Heat an 8” deep pot filled less than halfway with vegetable oil until 375 degrees. (Use deep-fry thermometer).
- Whisk together the first measure of flour, and baking powder with the water to make a thin pancake batter consistency, adjust as needed. Add the clams and toss well in the wet mixture. Combine second measure of flour with the cornstarch and combine well. Place in a shallow and wide container for breading the clams. Working with about half of the clams at a time, remove from the batter and dredge in the flour mixture, coating very well and s hake off excess flour.
- Place half of the coated clams in deep fry basket and gently lower into hot fry fat and cook for one minute or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels or paper plate, and season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Repeat procedure with other clams. Serve inside the toasted hot dog tolls and tarragon tartar sauce (recipe below) and a lemon wedge.
For Tarragon Tartar Sauce
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. Sweet Relish
- 2 tsp. Fresh Tarragon-chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Red Onions-minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- To Taste Salt and black pepper.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Serve with the fried clam roll.
Please visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page.