Cigarette Causes Old Saybrook Motel Fire: Firefighters

By Ari Mason
|  Monday, Jun 23, 2014  |  Updated 7:23 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Cigarette Causes Old Saybrook Motel Fire: Firefighters

NBCConnecticut.com

Crews responded to the Econolodge on Boston Post Road in Old Saybrook after a discarded cigarette sparked a mulch fire there.

Authorities responded to a two-alarm mulch fire at an Old Saybrook Motel on Monday afternoon sparked by a discarded cigarette, according to the town fire chief.

Fire officials said a still-burning cigarette lit a mulch pile on fire at the Econolodge on Boston Post Road.

Smoke traveled up the building's stucco facade and under the flooring, according to the fire department. Firefighters had to cut a small hole in the motel wall, but the structure was not damaged otherwise.

No one was injured or displaced, fire officials said. All motel guests have returned to their rooms.

Westport, Clinton and Essex provided mutual aid.

The Old Saybrook Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
9/27-9/28 - Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out