Teens' Supporters Compare Meriden Stabbing to Trayvon Martin Case

Family says it wants justice for teens involved in deadly stabbing.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Mother Of Teen Stabbing Victim Demands Arrest (Published Friday, Oct 5, 2012)

    The mother of a 13-year-old who was stabbed during an altercation in Meriden demanded justice for her son Friday.

    DeAndre Felton, 15, and 13-year-old Deshaun Jones were stabbed Sept. 21 on Kensington Avenue in Meriden. Felton died of his injuries. Jones suffered several stab wounds, and was released from the hospital Friday.

    Mother Of Teen Stabbing Victim Demands Arrest

    [HAR] Mother Of Teen Stabbing Victim Demands Arrest
    Mother Of Teen Stabbing Victim Demands Arrest (Published Friday, Oct 5, 2012)

    "This man is still on the streets and my son is sitting home trying to recover," said Alexis Jones. "My son has two stab wounds in his back, one on his side, and he has a slice on his neck," Jones explained.

    According to police, seven different witnesses told investigators Jones and Felton were out past the city's curfew, they were high on drugs and looking for a fight when they jumped a man from behind.  That's when the man pulled out a pocket knife. 

    Dante Moss, a spokesperson for the families of the two teens, claimed Friday that the incident mirrored the Trayvon Martin case in Florida. In that case, which gained national attention for months, George Zimmerman fatally shot and killed Martin during a struggle. Zimmerman claimed he shot Martin in self defense after Martin attacked him.

    Friday, Moss questioned why the man who stabbed the two teens in Meriden, left the scene and wasn't located by police for 24 hours after the incident.

    "He did not call the police. He did not call 911. He did not say 'I pulled out a knife and I stabbed children,'" Moss said. "This is not a typical self defense act."

    Police have not released the man's name and said death threats had been posted on different social media sites.

    "This is a monster, this is a monster after children," Jones said.

    The incident got the attention of city leaders in Meriden as well.

    "We absolutely have to fully understand what happened," said City Councilor, Dante Bartolomeo. 

    She said the city would make sure the Meriden Police Department conducted a thorough investigation. 

    "This is a tragedy for the kids it's a tragedy for the family and it's a tragedy for the entire community," Bartolomeo said.

    Police said they would forward the case to the State's Attorney Office in New Haven.  Prosecutors will decide if the man who stabbed the teens will face criminal charges.

    The surviving teen could also face charges depending on the outcome of the investigation, according to police.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anytimeiPhone/iPad/Android App | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | First Alert Weather Days