The 45-year-old man who was taken to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital Thursday after fire at a Plainville home has died, according to hospital officials.
Hospital officials said 45-year-old Stephen Androwski died Thursday night at the Connecticut Burn Center at Bridgeport Hospital.
The fire broke out on Fairbanks Street.
Larry Sutherland, the fire marshal for the town of Plainville, said fire consumed the second floor of the house and the victim was found on the second floor.
An ambulance brought him to a hospital in New Britain, then Lifestar flew him to Bridgeport Hospital, officials said Thursday.
Officials said Thursday that the residents of the building were a father and son but did not identify them.
Felicia Kenniston, a neighbor, said she was out walking when she saw smoke from the top floor of the home.
“So we knocked on the door and a gentleman answered and we said,’ Your house is on fire, He said, ‘OK’ and closed the door and went back inside, which made us very nervous,” Kenniston said.
The police showed up a few minutes later, went in and got him out, she said.
“He said his son was upstairs and he couldn’t get the door open,” Kenniston said.
Plainville has a volunteer department and Sutherland said they had less than half a dozen firefighters when they arrived so they immediately called for mutual aid.