30 Saint Francis Hospital Patients Moved After Transformer Explodes

A transformer exploded near the Saint Francis Hospital emergency department Thursday night, prompting staff to transfer 30 people out of the emergency room and steer incoming patients to neighboring hospitals.

Satin Francis spokesperson Fiona Phelan said a transformer blew behind the John T. O'Connell Tower on Ashley Street in Hartford, which houses the hospital's emergency department.

Although the incident was first reported as a possible fire, officials with the Hartford Fire Department said an electrical malfunction created smoky conditions in the building.

Smoke seeped into the hospital's ventilation system, prompting staff to move 30 emergency room patients to other parts of Saint Francis and divert new patients to other area hospitals, according to Phelan.

No one was injured and all emergency services have been restored, but Phelan said part of the hospital is still being powered by back-up generators. Officials are awaiting word from Eversource before returning to the normal power supply.

"This type of incident is something that Saint Francis continually drills for to (ensure continuous) high quality patient care and seamless service to our patients and their families," Phelan wrote in an email late Thursday night.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Contact Us