Teen Dad Charged in Baby Girl’s Death - NBC Connecticut

Teen Dad Charged in Baby Girl’s Death

The baby's injuries were consistent with Shaken Baby Syndrome.



    Eighteen year old Reushawn Foster has been arrested for the alleged shaking death of an infant. (Published Friday, March 7, 2014)

    An 18-year-old dad has been arrested, accused of causing his 8-week-old daughter’s death.

    The baby’s died of blunt head trauma in March 2013, and officials said her injuries were consistent with Shaken Baby Syndrome.

    Police have arrested Reushawn Foster on first-degree manslaughter charges. He is being held on $75,000 after authorities took him into custody in South Carolina, where he was living with family members.

    “I was completely stunned,” said Katie Costello.  She just found out her former classmate from Morgan High School was accused of such a startling crime. “It’s just devastating,” Costello added.

    In March 2013, Clinton Police responded to a home in town because an 8-week-old girl was not breathing. 

    Emergency crews began treating the girl and she was later airlifted to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

    Medical staff then notified Clinton Police Department that baby’s injuries were consistent with “Shaken Baby Syndrome” and Clinton police started investigating.

    Police said the baby’s parents. Foster and a 16-year-old girl, both lived in Clinton. They determined the father was the only suspect.

    A few days later, the baby died in the Yale-New Haven Intensive Care unit.

    Clinton police obtained a warrant for Foster but learned he had left the state of Connecticut.

    As authorities investigated, they determined Foster was living in Columbia, South Carolina with family members.

    On Feb. 18, he was apprehended in South Carolina and charged with being a fugitive from justice.

    He waived the extradition and Clinton police traveled to South Carolina yesterday, took him into custody and brought him back to Connecticut. 

    He was brought to the juvenile detention center in Hartford until his court appearance and was arraigned today in Middletown Superior Court, where his case was transferred to the adult court.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android