Teen in Controversial Hartford Taser Incident Appears in Court - NBC Connecticut

Teen in Controversial Hartford Taser Incident Appears in Court



    Eighteen-year-old Luis Anglero has been charged with breach of peace and resisting arrest in connection with a disturbance last month in Hartford. (Published Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2014)

    A Hartford teen made his first court appearance today after his arrest in a highly publicized incident during which police shot him with a Taser two weeks ago.

    Luis Anglero, 18, faces charges of second-degree breach of peace and interfering with an officer. He was arraigned in Hartford Community Court on Wednesday.

    Anglero was tased while police were breaking up an unruly crowd near the Garden Street and Albany Avenue intersection at 2 p.m. on Aug. 19. He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

    Surveillance footage shows a teen, identified as Anglero, walking toward an officer, then stopping and standing as the officer approaches him with a Taser. The officer shoots him with the Taser and Anglero falls to the ground.

    Community Leaders and Residents Rally Over Taser Incident

    [HAR] Community Leaders and Residents Rally Over Taser Incident
    Dozens turned out for todays rally in Hartford over the tasing incident where a Hartford Police Officer tased a young man and they are demanding answers.
    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014)

    Family members are fighting the accusations against Anglero.

    "We're confident that once the laws of this state are applied to those truths, that my client will be exonerated of all the charges before him," said defense attorney Jamaal Johnson.

    Community activists have protested the officer's use of the Taser, and members of the NAACP rallied outside the courthouse Wednesday before Anglero's appearance.

    "All too often we are the victims of those who are protecting us," said Deacon Arthur Miller, of Hartford.

    Hartford police spokesman Deputy Chief Brian Foley said Anglero "was a clear aggressor and agitator" who ignored officers' commands to leave the area.

    The officer involved in the incident is now the subject of an internal investigation, which Hartford Police Chief James Rovella said will be "fair" and "complete."

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android