Crews Battle House Fire in Granby

Firefighters are trying to figure out what sparked a house fire in Granby early Monday morning.

Fire officials say they were called to a home on Hungary Road around 1:30 a.m. When they arrived, there was heavy smoke and fire to the basement of the house. Mutual aid from surrounding towns were called in to help fight the fire.

The husband and wife who live at the home were able to escape with their cat, uninjured.

The couple told investigators they were welding on Sunday night. Investigators are now factoring that into determining the cause of the fire. Experts say the damage is contained to the basement of the home.

According to firefighters, it was challenging dealing with the carbon monoxide.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Contact Us