Blood Found on Wolcott Woman’s Couch: Arrest Warrant


Police in Wolcott have charged Patrick Cannon, 44, with the murder of his wife, Cynthia Cannon, 35.

Patrick Cannon appeared in court just before noon. Patrick Cannon reported the mother of two missing on Friday night and police say they uncovered evidence of foul play. He told police his wife had gone to a Goodwill box around 10:30 p.m. on Thursday to drop off clothes, the Waterbury Republican-American reports.

He also said that when he woke up on Friday, his wife of five years wasn't home and he assumed she was at work.

Patrick Cannon was, at first, called a person of interest, but police obtained a waarant for his arrest at about 10 p.m. on Sunday. It includes information on "human blood stains" found on the couch where Cynthia sleeps, the wall above it, the back porch, the back stairs and the driveway.

Patrick Cannon was arrested just after midnight on Monday and is being held at the Wolcott Police station on a $3 million cash bond. He was arraigned in Waterbury Superior Court on Monday morning.  Monday night family and friends gathered for a candlelight vigil across the street from the couple's home to remember mother of two.  "She deserves to be brought home.  We need her home, her children need her home," said Judy Speranzo.

Police said there was a domestic violence case involving the couple about five years ago that sent Cynthia to a hospital.

Police told the Associated Press they believe Cynthia Cannon was killed last week. Police found Cynthia Cannon’s Jeep not far from where the couple lives and recovered evidence inside and on the outside of the vehicle.

Evidence has also been collected from the couple’s house at 207 Spindle Hill Road. A sleeping bag with possible bloodstains was also found nearby,near a local reservoir, police said. It is one she used during a recent Girl Scouts camping trip.

The couple had been having marital problems and told friends that they planned to divorce. Their house is also in foreclosure. Patrick Cannon was laid off from his job nearly a year ago, but has maintained some sort of employment in the Plantsville section of Southington.

Neighbors were shocked by the developments in the case involving the mother of two children, a 9-year-old from a previous relationship, and a 5-year-old boy with Cannon.

Joy Dimaria, lives across the street and also watches one of the Cannon children at her daycare center.

"They always seemed happy to see each other," Dimaria said. "He’d run over and say, 'Hi Daddy.'"

Police Chief Neil O’Leary said on Sunday that the search would continue through the night, but with the darkness comes less of a chance of finding Cynthia Cannon.

Due to the time frame and the time that’s gone by she has been reported missing, those hopes are diminishing very quickly," Chief O’Leary said.

The two children are staying with family members.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us