Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images
The first Martin Luther King Jr. holiday of Donald Trump's presidency is taking place amid a racial firestorm of Trump's own making.
In the same week that he honored King by making a national park out of the ground where King was born and preached until his death, Trump denigrated practically the entire African diaspora, and left many Americans headed into the civil rights icon's birthday convinced that the leader of their country is a racist.
The island territory of more than 3 million U.S. citizens is reeling in the... View gallery »
Chris Hondros/Getty Images
The Trump administration is preparing to withhold tens of millions of dollars from the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, cutting the year's first contribution by more than half or perhaps entirely, and making additional donations contingent on major changes to the organization, according to U.S. officials.
President Donald Trump hasn't made a final decision, but appears more likely to send only $60 million of the planned $125 million first installment to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, said the officials, who weren't authorized to publicly discuss the matter and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Future contributions would require the agency, facing heavy Israeli criticism, to demonstrate significant changes in operations, they said, adding that one suggestion under consideration would require the Palestinians to first re-enter peace talks with Israel.
Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens were upset early and the bleak opening day for Americans continued at the Australian Open on Monday with the women going 0 for 8 and two of the highest-ranked U.S. men joining them as first-round casualties.
In her first match at Rod Laver Arena since losing last year's final to her sister, Serena, Venus Williams lost her opener to Belinda Bencic 6-3, 7-5 and ensured the title won't stay in the family.
Serena Williams hasn't played a Grand Slam tournament since then because of her pregnancy and the birth of her first child.
Nearly 15,000 people have fled from villages around the Philippines' most active volcano as lava flowed down its crater Monday in a gentle eruption that scientists warned could turn explosive.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology increased the alert level for Mount Mayon late Sunday to three on a scale of five, indicating an increased prospect of a hazardous eruption "within weeks or even days."
Lava flowed at least half a kilometer (less than half a mile) down a gulley from the crater on Monday morning and ash clouds appeared mid-slope as lava fragments rolled down, said Renato Solidum, who heads the volcano institute. It was hard to track down the lava flow given the thick clouds shrouding the volcano.
President Donald Trump, on the defensive in the wake of recent disparaging comments about Haiti and African nations that have revived questions about whether the leader of the world's melting pot is a racist...
Anna Wintour has announced that Condé Nast is putting its working relationship with famed celebrity photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber on hold in wake of sexual misconduct allegations made against them.
Vogue's editor in chief and Condé Nast's artistic director made her comments in a message posted on the magazine's website on Saturday after The New York Times reported that 13 male assistants and models claimed Testino subjected them to sexual advances and that 15 current and former male models claimed Weber exhibited coercive sexual behavior, often during photo shoots. Both photographers have denied the allegations.Anna Wintour has announced that Condé Nast is putting its working relationship with famed celebrity photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber on hold in wake of sexual misconduct allegations made against them.
Vogue's editor in chief and Condé Nast's artistic director made her comments in a message posted on the magazine's website on Saturday after The New York Times reported that 13 male assistants and models claimed Testino subjected them to sexual advances and that 15 current and former male models claimed Weber exhibited coercive sexual behavior, often during photo shoots. Both photographers have denied the allegations.
Bill Pugliano/Getty Images
It's the year of the pickup truck at the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit as General Motors, Fiat Chrysler and Ford unveil new trucks in a fast-growing and highly competitive U.S. auto market.
Fiat Chrysler will roll out a redesigned Ram truck, while GM's Chevrolet brand is showing off the new Silverado. It's the first time in at least 29 years that show organizers can remember two Detroit automakers unveiling new full-size trucks at the same Detroit event. Also, Ford is re-entering the small pickup market with a new version of the Ranger.
It's all happening in a U.S. auto market that's shrinking but still expected to remain at healthy levels. Last year sales fell 2 percent to 17.2 million, still near record highs. Analysts expect sales to be just under 17 million in 2018.
Bishop Shawn Stephens
Police in Northern Virginia and the FBI are investigating after some residents received fliers claiming to be from the Ku Klux Klan.
At least 10 residents have found the fliers outside houses and along a running trail in Leesburg, which is about an hour's drive west of Washington, D.C.
Friday night, Bishop Shawn Stephens was in his driveway, when a woman driving by tossed a bag out of her car window, he told News4. Inside the bag were brochures for the Ku Klux Klan, bird seed and a green Jolly Rancher.
Thousands of people attended a candlelight vigil to pay tribute to the 20 people who were killed when mudslides ravaged a Southern California town.
The vigil was held Sunday night in Santa Barbara. Mourners raised candles and shared hugs as they remembered the victims who were killed when flash floods sent debris cascading through Montecito early Tuesday.
A moment of silence was also held for the victims who were killed, including 30-year-old Pinit Sutthithepa, whose body was found Saturday afternoon. His two-year-old daughter is still missing.
President Donald Trump said Sunday that a program that protects immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children is "probably dead," casting a cloud over already tenuous negotiations just days before a deadline on a government funding deal that Democrats have tied to immigration.
At issue is the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program created by President Barack Obama to shield hundreds of thousands of these individuals, known as "Dreamers," from deportation. Trump, who has taken a hard stance against illegal immigration, announced last year that he will end the program unless Congress comes up with a solution by March.
"DACA is probably dead because the Democrats don't really want it, they just want to talk and take desperately needed money away from our Military," the Republican president tweeted.
NurPhoto via Getty Images, File
When truck driver Chris Gromek wants to know what's really going on in Washington, he scans the internet and satellite radio. He no longer flips TV channels because networks such as Fox News and MSNBC deliver conflicting accounts tainted by politics, he says.
"Where is the truth?" asks the 47-year-old North Carolina resident.
Answering that question accurately is a cornerstone of any functioning democracy, according to none other than Thomas Jefferson. But a year into Donald Trump's fact-bending, media-bashing presidency, Americans are increasingly confused about who can be trusted to tell them reliably what their government and their commander in chief are doing.
Andina Agency via AP
A powerful earthquake struck off Peru's coast early Sunday, tumbling adobe homes in small, rural towns, killing at least one person and leaving dozens injured, officials said.
The earthquake destroyed 63 homes, displacing about 130 people, and it injured 65 people, Peru's Chief of Civil Defense Jorge Chavez said.
The sole fatality was man killed when he was crushed by a fallen rock, said officials, adding that many of those injured were in Chala district, a coastal area dependent on fishing and mining that is popular with tourists.
Emergency crews responded by sending tents and mattresses to the displaced families, officials said.
Take a look at significant events from President Donald Trump's time in office... View gallery »
After an emergency alert of a ballistic missile threat left people "crying and screaming" in Hawaii on Saturday, emergency officials confirmed that the message was sent in error and that no missile was headed for the island state. However, the mistake drew outrage from local leaders and has prompted a federal investigation.
The alert, which was sent to people's cell phones at 8:07 a.m., said in all caps, "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill." An alert also appeared on TVs.
About 13 minutes after the alert was sent, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted: "NO missile threat to Hawaii."