- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Cups onions-sliced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. Fresh thyme - chopped
- 3 Cups chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup Gruyère or swiss cheese - grated
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a large, wide, heavy bottomed saute pan on medium high heat. Add the butter and onions. Cook stirring often for about 15 minutes or until the onions become very tender and a deep golden in color. Add the flour and thyme, cook 30 seconds. While whisking, add the chicken broth in ½ cup increments, bringing to a boil after each addition. Let soup simmer 10 minutes.
- Finish by gradually whisking in the cheese and heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Garnish with a crisp crouton and some more grated cheese. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com