This recipe makes 30 Hors d’oeuvres.
- ½ Lb. Ham, chopped finely
- ½ Lb. Swiss cheese, or any favorite cheese-shredded
- 2 Tbsp. Shallots, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Softened butter, (1/2 of a stick)
- 4 Phyllo dough sheets
- ½ cup Olive oil or you can use olive oil or butter flavored spray
- Black pepper to taste
- To make the filling, combine in a bowl the ham, cheese, shallots, parsley and softened butter. Mix until the mixture is thoroughly coated with the butter. Season to taste with black pepper. Reserve.
- To assemble strudels, lay one sheet of the phyllo dough on the counter, keeping the others covered to prevent drying out, so the 16” side is facing you.
- Lightly brush this sheet with a thin layer of olive oil. Cover this sheet of dough with another sheet of phyllo dough,and brush entirely with more olive oil.
- Now, place half of the ham and cheese stuffing in a tight cylinder shape on the phyllo dough, extending to both the left and right ends.
- Now, tightly roll the dough around the filling into a cigar shape. Place this roll, seam side facing down, on a cookie sheet lined with a sprayed cooling rack. Repeat with the other three sheets of dough to have two cigar shapes. Using a serrated knife, make a slight incision into the top of each roll every inch to have 15 portions from each roll.
- Bake for about 20 minutes in a 400-degree Fahrenheit oven until deep golden. Remove from the oven, let cool 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice each roll into 15 portions where you previously marked the dough. Place the strudels on a serving platter and enjoy!