1 Tbsp. Butter
4 Each Cloves of Garlic-thinly sliced, or minced
2 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
4 Each All-Purpose or Idaho Potatoes-peeled, very thinly sliced
½ Cup Gruyere or Swiss Cheese-grated
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
• Melt butter in heavy saucepan, add garlic, and cook briefly until aroma is released, do not burn!
• Add heavy cream, bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, and let reduce for about 5 minutes until 1 ¾ cups remain.
• Season very well with salt and pepper.
• This cream should taste almost over seasoned, since the potatoes are very neutral in flavor.
• In large bowl, combine sliced potatoes and grated cheese, toss well to combine.
• Lay this mixture evenly into a 6” X 8 ” baking pan that has been coated with vegetable spray.
• Pour cream evenly over the layered potatoes.
• Bake uncovered in a preheated 375°f oven for about 45 minutes to one hour, or until potatoes are tender, and there is a deep brown crust on top.
• Let rest at room temperature for 5 minutes, and serve.