- 1 Acorn squash-smaller in size
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 1 Cup onions-small diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh herbs- rosemary, or thyme, or sage or mixed, chopped finely
- 1 ½ Cups arborio rice
- ¼ Cup white wine - optional
- 4-5 Cups chicken or vegetable stock-seasoned with salt and pepper - simmering
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 2 Tbsp. butter - optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To roast squash, remove stem, split in half from top to bottom, scoop out seeds an stringy bits (save the seeds for toasting) and place cut side down on baking sheet. Add 1/2 C. of water to pan, cover with foil, and roast in 400°f oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until tender.When tender, flip over and let cool. Scoop out the squash flesh, and mash with a heavy spoon or potato masher to a semi pureed consistency. Reserve 1½ cups of this purée for this recipe. Reserve the rest for any other favorite squash recipes.
- Heat heavy bottom, wide pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions, cook for 1 minute or until softened and sweet smelling. Add the rice and fresh herbs, cook for another minute to coat the rice with the oil and to heat. Add the wine, stirring until rice absorbs. Reduce heat to medium and add the heated stock a half of a cup at a time while stirring with a wooden spoon. When rice has nearly absorbed liquid, add more. Continue for about 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender with just a hint of firmness at center. Finish rice by adding the 1½ C. of squash puree, the cheese, butter, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.