The blaze was caused by a space heater — and made catastrophically worse because the door to the unit where it erupted was left open. Hallways were turned to dark, ash-choked horrors.
One person has died after a house fire in Derby early Wednesday morning. Firefighters were called to the single-story home on Pleasant View around 12:20 a.m. When crews arrived, they said they found heavy fire at the home. It was put under control by 12:40 a.m. According to investigators, the sole tenant was found inside of the home and was…