When you plan your wardrobe for Tuesday, grab something roomy if you plan to celebrate National Pancake Day.
What does that mean for you? Free pancakes.
Head over to any of the 6 participating IHOPs in Connecticut between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. and you’ll get a free stack of buttermilk pancakes. It’s a short stack -- three pancakes -- so if you have a bigger appetite, grab some cash.
Why is IHOP giving away free stacks of yummy pancakes? Tuesday is Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras.
National Pancake Day dates way back before the IHOP promotion. It started several centuries ago when the English prepped for fasting during Lent, according to IHOP’s Web site.
Strict rules prohibited people from eating dairy products during Lent, so pancakes were made to use up the supply of eggs, milk, butter and other dairy products.
While IHOP is handing out the pancakes, they are looking for something in return, a donation to the Children's Miracle Network program at the Connecticut Children's Medical Center. The company hopes to raise $1,000,000 for Children’s Miracle Network in 2009.
IHOP Locations in Connecticut:
- 339 Cottage Grove Road, Bloomfield - (860) 243-1160
- 262 Skiff St., Hamden - (203) 281-0022
- 3280 Berlin Turnpike, Newington - (860) 666-6222
- 486 Boston Post Road, Orange - (203) 799-8000
- 2410 Summer St., Stamford - (203) 324-9819
- 1040 North Colony Road, Wallingford - (203) 269-9901
If you love food and just want more excuses to celebrate something, here are more weird food days:
- Tuesday: National Tortilla Chip Day
- Wednesday: National Pistachio Day
- February is also National Grapefruit Month, National Snack Food Month and Canned Food Month.