Volunteer Injured in Special Olympics Torch Relay Mishap
Two people suffered second-degree burns during a mishap with the torch for Special Olympics in Waterbury on Thursday morning.
The annual Special Olympics torch run through the state started on Wednesday and the truck was on South Elm Street in Waterbury on Thursday morning when the wick was starting to burn out.
Someone was using a special glove to change it at 11:45 a.m. and the glove caught on fire, according to police.
The driver noticed what was happening and stopped short, which caused the fuel to splatter and cause a flash fire, police said.
Two volunteers who were in the back of the truck were burned and were taken to St. Mary’ Hospital.
The male volunteer has been released, but the female volunteer was transferred to the Bridgeport Burn Center.
The Special Olympics of Connecticut released a statement on Thursday, saying their priority is the safety and well-being of its athletes and volunteers.
"We're deeply concerned about today's events and the well being of those involved and will review the entire matter and all procedures to make certain this does not happen again," Debbie Horne
Director of Communications and Marketing Special Olympics Connecticut, said in a statement.
The annual torch run covers more than 530 miles over three days to recognize the athletes.