Meriden firefighters responded to the report of a propane tank explosion at 194 Camp Street on Wednesday night.
Roofers working on the commercial building were using propane tanks to heat materials on the roof when and uncontrolled release of gas ignited around 6 p.m., according to fire officials.
The explosion caused a small fire, but it was quickly put out, fire officials said.
The building is the former home of Rosie's Cafe.
Fire officials said no one was injured, but the building did suffer some damage.