Malloy Pushes for $10M in School Security Upgrades

By Jeff Saperstone
|  Thursday, Jan 23, 2014  |  Updated 7:59 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Governor asking the legislature for $ 10,000000

Governor asking the legislature for $ 10,000000

advertisement

Gov. Dannel Malloy is pushing for a $10 million school security upgrade as part of the overall budget proposal he'll unveil in two weeks.

If the legislature approves the proposal, it will be the third round of school security grant funds.

"We thought it was significant that we move forward with another round," said. Gov. Malloy.

This round of funding would be open to all schools around the state.

However, just like the previous two rounds, this money can only be used for capital improvements. Security cameras, entry systems and bullet-resistant glass are examples of security upgrades covered by the grant money.

The money cannot be used for hiring security guards.

"You really aren't supposed to be spending capital dollars on operating expenses, and security forces are an operating expense," said Malloy.

The governor said the decision to fund security guards will still be left to the individual districts.

New Haven police officers are already patrolling city schools, along with security personnel hired by the district.

"There's no question the human element is critical both for the deterrent effect they can apply but also just to be out and observing what's going on," said Will Clark, chief operating officer for New Haven Public Schools.

The district received more than $1 million in grant money last year. It hopes to use the funding to upgrade cameras and lock systems and to buy equipment for security officers.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out