State Emergency Operations Center Opens

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Connecticut’s State Emergency Operations Center is up and running in preparation for Hurricane Sandy.

    Gov. Dannel Malloy has convened a unified command meeting with all agencies, cabinet members and Congressmen Chris Murphy and John Larson to make sure the state is ready for the storm, and is making use of the lessons learned last year during Tropical Storm Irene and the October snowstorm.

    They are closing monitoring the hurricane’s path and going over response details and flood projection maps for the shore line.

    Malloy will also hold a call with all the municipalities.

    He said he has been working with federal agencies, including FEMA, and had a phone call with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano on how the state is responding.

    According to a spokesman, the EOC is working with the state’s public utilities companies to ensure there is open and continuous communication between the utilities and state and local leaders.

    “Right now, the public should be taking Hurricane Sandy very seriously.  We are preparing here at the State Emergency Operations Center as if this storm is going to have a significant impact for Connecticut residents,” said State Department of Emergency Services Spokesman Scott Devico.
     
    Connecticut Light & Power officials said they have called in 2,000 workers from out of state and contractors are busy trimming trees with branches that might threaten to fall on power lines.
     
    United Illuminating officials said the company is focusing on maintaining better communication with local leaders along the shoreline.
     
    First on NBC Connecticut, Malloy said he has signed a declaration of emergency for the state.
     
    Malloy will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday with further updates.