- P.A.N. Precooked White Cornmeal, 144 Grams, 1 Cup & 1 Tbsp.
- Baking Powder, 8 Grams, 1 tsp.
- Kosher Salt, 2 Grams, ½ tsp.
- Canola Oil, 2 Grams, ½ tsp.
- Warm Water, 252 Grams, 1 Cup
Place everything in one bowl and mix with your fingertips. Mix dough should be soft, but should be able to be formed without sticking to hands. Divide into 4 equal portions. Form each into a 3 ½” disc, almost ½” thick.
Pan fry in enough canola oil to come halfway up the sides of each arepa, about ¼”. Insure the oil is heated to 350°f. An electric fry ing pan works well for this. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until very golden. Drain on paper towels. Let cool for 2 minutes and split in half horizonally like an English muffin. Fill with the suggested fillings below. Makes 4 sandwiches.
- 2 Grilled Chicken Breasts-season with adobo, sliced thinly
- ¾ Cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 Tomato Slices
- 1 Cup Shredded Lettuce
- ¼ Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro Leaves