Makes 8 shortbreads
- 2 Tbsp. softened butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ Tsp. baking powder
- ½ Tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ Lb. mascarpone cheese
- ½ pint Connecticut strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay out eight 3½ to 4-inch metal rings on a cookie sheet and spray the insides with vegetable spray. English muffins rings work great.
- Cream together the butter, powdered sugar and lemon zest until light.
- Add the egg yolks and blend thoroughly.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and sea salt. Add to the butter and egg mixture and blend just until smooth.
- Divide the dough evenly among the rings and press down to evenly flatten into the bottom of each mold
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and unmold the rings. Let cool to room temperature.
- To serve, spread about 2 Tbsp. of the mascarpone cheese on the top of each shortbread. Wash and slice or wedge the berries and divide onto the tops of the mascarpone topped shortbread. Enjoy!