Native Tomato, Bread and Mozzarella Salad
Use left over tomatoes to make Native Tomato, Bread and Mozzarella Salad.
- 1½ cups cubed French bread, ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced native tomatoes
- ¾ cup diced fresh mozzarella
- ¼ cup red onion, diced or sliced very finely
- 12 basil leaves, cut into little strips or torn by hand
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar, or any favorite vinegar
- 1 Tsp. fresh garlic, mashed to a paste using kosher salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, black pepper and Herbes de Provence to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit. Toss the diced bread with the first measure of olive oil, seasoning to taste with salt, black pepper and herbes de Provence. Spread out in an even layer on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about eight minutes or until medium golden, crisp on the outside, but soft at the center. Reserve.
- Combine in a large bowl the tomatoes, mozzarella, red onion and basil.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar and garlic. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to make smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the tomatoes and let marinate five minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
Chef Jamie Roraback is with the Lincoln Culinary Institute