Spicy Coconut Milk Soup with Pumpkin and Rice Noodles
Try making this yummy fall soup at home.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- ½ Jalapeno pepper, cut finely
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1½ cups fresh pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced to half-an-inch
- 1 can coconut milk, shake can before opening
- To taste soy or fish sauce, palm or regular sugar, hot sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ lb. rice noodles, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then drained
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat add the oil, onions. Cook stirring for about 2 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add the jalapeno and ginger, cook 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the pumpkin and gently simmer for about 8 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Stir in the coconut milk, heating through, but do not boil.
- Season to taste with soy or fish sauce, palm or regular sugar and hot sauce if desired.
- Divide the rice noodles among four soup bowls. Ladle the hot soup over and garnish with the fresh cilantro and lime wedges.