Several communities have opened cooling centers as Connecticut swelters through another heat wave this week.
Excessive heat warnings have been posted for the entire state, and inland temperatures will be in the high 90s for most of the week.
Here is a list of cooling centers in Connecticut:
- The Alvin and Beatrice Wood Human Resources Center, 330 Park Avenue. 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Mon. - Fri.
- Prosser Library, 1 Tunxis Avenue 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Mon. - Thurs., 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Fri.
- McMahon Wintonbury Library, 1015 Blue Hills Avenue 1 p.m. - 8 p.m. Tues. & Thurs., 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wed. & Fri.
- Bloomfield Municipal Pool 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Mon. - Fri. (Recreational swim), 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. (Adult/Special Needs), 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Family swim)
On Saturday, the following sites will be open:
- Bloomfield Municipal Pool will be open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. for recreational swim and from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. for family swim. The phone number is 860-761-3597.
- Prosser Library, 1 Tunxis Avenue, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The phone number is 860-243-9721,
- McMahon Wintonbury Library, 1015 Blue Hills Avenue, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The phone number is 860-242-0041.
The Town will provide water, but residents are asked to bring their own food. Call for information regarding other pets.
- Greater Bridgeport Transit Main Bus Terminal, 710 Water Street, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Several Bridgeport Public Library locations are also serving as cooling centers:
- Burroughs-Saden Main Branch, 925 Broad Street, Mon. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Black Rock Library, 2705 Fairfield Avenue, Mon./Wed./Fri. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Tues. & Thurs. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m., Sat. 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Newfield Library, 1230 Stratford Avenue, Mon./Fri./Sat. 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., Tues. & Thurs. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- North End, 3455 Madison Avenue, Mon./Wed./Fri. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Tues. & Thurs. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m., Sat. 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Old Mill Green, 1677-81 East Main Street, Mon./Fri./Sat. 1 pm. - 5 p.m., Tues. & Thurs. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Wed. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Cooling centers open to senior citizens living in Bridgeport:
- Eisenhower Senior Center, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- North End-Bethany Senior Center, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- East Side Senior Center, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Air conditioning is available at the Canton Library, 40 Dyer Ave. The Library is open from Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Hart Bus outside 198 Main Street, Tuesday through Thursday, noon to 4 p.m.
- East Haven Senior Center, Taylor Avenue. until 6 p.m. each day.
- Senior Center, 125 Main Street (rear entrance) in Broad Brook, Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Main Library, 1080 Old Post Road, Mon. - Thurs. 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., Fri. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Fairfield Woods Branch Library, 1147 Fairfield Woods Road, Mon. - Thurs. 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., Fri. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Fairfield Senior Center, 100 Mona Terrace, Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Community/Senior Center, 321 New Britain Avenue, Unionville, Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
All public buildings, including public libraries (Miller Memorial, Whitneyville and Brundage), the Keefe Community Center, the Hamden Senior Center and Hamden High School are air-conditioned and open to the public during regular business hours.
Cooling stations are meant for temporary relief from the heat, especially for the elderly and those with respiratory issues.
Cooling Station Locations:
- Miller Memorial Library and the Hamden Senior Center, located at 2901 Dixwell Avenue.
- Whitneyville Branch Library, located at corner of Carleton and Putnam Avenue;
- Brundage Community Branch Library, located at 91 Circular Avenue;
- Hamden High School, located at 2040 Dixwell Avenue (entrance on south side / see signage).
City cooling center hours are extended and all locations are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Free water is available during the Riverfest fireworks display
- Cooling tents are available at the Greater Hartford Jazz Festival this weekend
- Cold water stations placed outside the XL center for tonight’s Justin Bieber concert
- All seniors have access to free, air-conditioned transport to cooling centers by contacting the City’s Dial-a-Ride program at (860) 251-8261
The following Hartford locations will remain open as cooling centers through Friday, July 19:
- North End Senior Center, 80 Coventry Street, Time: 8:30am-5:00pm
- South End Wellness Center, 830 Maple Avenue, Time: 8:30am-5:00pm
- Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Avenue, Time: 8:30am-5:00pm
- Hispanic Health Council, 175 Main Street, Time: 8:30am-5:00pm
Additional areas where residents can cool off include:
- Parker Memorial Community Center, 2621 Main Street, 8:00am-8:00pm
- Arroyo Center @ Pope Park, 30 Pope Park Drive, 8:00am-8:00pm
- All outdoor pools; Pope, Keney, Goodwin and Colt – Family Swim; 12pm-8pm
The Hartford Public Library is available for residents and visitors. Below are hours of operation:
- Hartford Downtown Public Library, 500 Main Street, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Albany Library Branch, 1250 Albany Avenue, 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m,
- Barbour Branch, 281 Barbour Street, 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Camp Field Branch, 30 Campfield Avenue, 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Mark Twain Branch, 55 Forest Street, 12:30 p.m, to 5:30 p.m.
- Park Branch, 744 Park Street, 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- SANDS/Ropkins, 1750 Main Street, 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Goodwin, 460 New Britain Avenue, 12:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Blue Hills Branch, 649 Blue Hills Avenue, 12:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Mansfield Public Library, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mon. & Wed., 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Tues. & Thurs., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Friday & Saturday
- Mansfield Community Center, 5:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. Mon - Fri., 5:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. Sat., 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Sun.
- Foran High School Pool available to Milford residents at no charge, Tues. - Fri. 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Milford Senior Center, 9 Jepson Drive, Mon. & Weds. 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., Tues., Thurs., Fri. 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Sun. 12 pm. - 4 p.m.
- Milford Public Library, 57 New Haven Avenue, Mon. - Weds. 10 a.m. - 8:30 p.m., Thurs. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Fri. 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Westfield Conn. Post Mall, 1201 Boston Post Road, Mon. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 9 p.m., Sun. 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The following locations will serve as cooling centers for the general public:
- New Haven Free Public Library Main Branch, 133 Elm Street, Mon. - Thurs. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Fair Haven Branch Library , 182 Grand Avenue, Mon. & Tues. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thurs. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Mitchell Branch Library, 37 Harrison Street, Mon. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m., Wed. & Thurs. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Stetson Branch Library, 200 Dixwell Avenue (in the Dixwell Plaza), Mon. & Tues. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Wed. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Courtland Seymour Wilson Branch Library, 303 Washington Avenue, Tues. 12 p.m. - 8 p.m., Wed. & Thurs. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The following will serve as cooling centers for seniors:
- Atwater Senior Center, 26 Atwater Street, New Haven, until 4 p.m.
- Dixwell/Newhallville Senior Center, 255 Goffe Street, New Haven (people with wheelchairs will need assistance to help travel up ramp), until 4 p.m.
- East Shore Senior Center, 411 Townsend Avenue, New Haven, until 4 p.m.
The following pools will open to the general public:
- Career High School Pool, 140 Legion Avenue, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Wilbur Cross High School Pool, 181 Mitchell Drive, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Hillhouse High School Pool, 480 Sherman Parkway, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- John Martinez School Pool, 100 James Street, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- The Lymes’ Senior Center, 26 Town Woods Road, will operate as an emergency cooling center this week from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Transportation is available through 9 Town Transit. Call 860-510-0429 if you need transportation to and from the cooling center.
- Simsbury Public Library, 725 Hopmeadow Street, Mon. - Thurs. 9:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m., Friday 8;30 a.m. -4:30 p.m.
- Eno Memorial Hall, 754 Hopmeadow Street, Mon. 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m., Tues. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Virginia Connolly Residence, 1600 Hopmeadow Street, will be open as a cooling center when the above two cooling centers are closed.
- Community Center, Nevers Road, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Mon. - Fri.
- Public Library, Sullivan Avenue 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Mon. - Thurs., 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Fri.
- Government Center, 888 Washington Boulevard, 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. through Wednesday
- Fire Department Headquarters, 629 Main Street, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Wednesday
- Long Ridge Fire Company, 366 Old Long Ridge Road, 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. through Wednesday
Other air-conditioned areas such as the library, shopping centers and mall are also open to the public.
- Silas Bronson Library, 267 Grand Street, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Mon. - Wed.
- WOW/NRZ Community Learning Center, 308 Walnut Street 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Mon. - Wed.
- Allingtown Library/Senior Center, 1 Forest Road, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon. - Fri.
- Johnson Community Center, 201 Noble Street, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon. - Fri.
- City Hall, 355 Main Street, Meeting Room B, Basement, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon. - Fri.
Woodstock Town Hall, 415 Route 169, open on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday.