Witness Calls for Help in Hasselhoff Sign Incident Released - NBC Connecticut

Witness Calls for Help in Hasselhoff Sign Incident Released

David Hasslehoff "shocked" and "saddened" by incident that injured clerk.



    A Cumberland Farms employee in Shelton was critically injured while trying to stop thieves from stealing two signs featuring David Hasselhoff, like this sign from an Ansonia Cumberland Farms. Listen to the 911 calls from the incident. (Published Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013)

    There were several witnesses to the hit-and-run that injured a Cumberland Farms employee as he was trying to stop the theft of David Hasselhoff signs early Tuesday morning.

    At 1:15 a.m. on Tuesday morning, police received 911 calls to respond to 819 River Road in Shelton. A 36-year-old employee had been struck by a black SUV and was having seizures, callers said.

    One caller, who identified herself as the victim’s mother, frantically requested an ambulance to help her son, 36-year-old Jason Crowley (pictured right).

    As more 911 calls came in, police informed witnesses that help was on the way and asked for more information, including a license plate number and for more details on what happened.

    No one could provide a license plate number, but they did see what happened.

    “Was the person standing in the road and he got hit?” the dispatcher asked one caller.

    “Uh, no. He was trying to … the Trailblazer was trying to steal a sign. The employee went to go stop him and they hit him,” the caller told 911.

    Police would learn that the people in the black SUV were trying to steal two David Hasselhoff signs, which have been a popular target for thieves since the “Baywatch” and “Knight Rider” actor started doing commercials for the convenience store chain last year.

    By the end of the day on Wednesday, word would get to Hasselhoff through Twitter and he expressed shock over the incident.    


    Police said on Wednesday morning that a 19-year-old came forward and admitted to being the driver. 

    No arrests have been made, according to Shelton police, and detective continue to investigate.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android