Glastonbury High School was evacuated for around an hour and a half Tuesday after the smell of gas was detected, according to reports from school officials.
Supt. Alan Bookman said the smell was detected around noon in a small area of the second floor and the fire department was called.
School officials sent a notice to parents Tuesday afternoon that says there was a odor of natural gas in a hallway, so they evacuated the building.
“Due to the unpredictable nature of this incident, our students and staff were outside for an extended period of time,” the message says.
School officials worked with the fire department, Connecticut Natural Gas and maintenance staff and were cleared for students to re-enter the building at 1:45 p.m.
The maintenance department is working with contractors to fix the issue.