There is something about a perfectly grilled hot dog on a summer day and today just happens to be National Hot Dog Day.
Whether you like yours with ketchup, mustard, relish, Coney Island sauce or something else, there are plenty of places to celebrate today.
Head to a hot dog cart near you.
You could really go for it and take the hot dog tour. (Yes – the hot dog tour.)
A documentary of the same name features Connecticut as a hot dog hotspot.
The hot dog documentary features:
- Blackie’s Hot Dog Stand, 2200 Waterbury Road in Cheshire, home of the famous homemade secret spicy relish recipe.
- Weiners On Water in East Haddam, which happens to be a hot dog boat.
- Rawley’s Drive-In, 1886 Post Road, in Fairfield
- Super Duper Weenie, 306 Black Rock Turnpike, in Fairfield
- Glenwood Drive-In, 2538 Whitney Ave, in Hamden, where the award-winning hot dogs are just part of the menu.
- Bobby’s Place in Niantic
- Frankies – multiple locations: In 2011, Forbes picked Frankie’s in Waterbury as having one of the 10 best hot dogs in America.
- Frankies of Watertown Ave., 700 Watertown Ave., Waterbury
- Frankies of Reidville Drive, 464 Reidville Drive, Waterbury
- Frankies of Chase Ave., 348 Chase Ave., Waterbury
- Frankie's at Westfield, 470 Lewis Ave., Meriden (second floor)
- Frankies of Plainville, 177 East St.
- Frankies of West Haven, 1151 Orange Ave., West Haven
- Frankies & Ole, 469 Rubber Ave., Naugatuck
Man vs. Food has made the trip here and indulged at Woody’s in Hartford for its Deputy Dog, which is covered in pulled pork and cheese, and at Doogies in Newington for the 2-foot-long Doogie dog.
Viewers also recommend Tomlinson's in Bridgeport, which is located at 140 Noble Aven., in case you want to try for yourself, Sahadi's Hottie, at 563 W. Main St. in New Britain and Family Pizza, at 233 Main St. in Niantic.
We can also boast that New Haven is home to Hummel Brothers and its many varieties of franks.
If you want to grill your own, try Chef Chris Prosperi's recipe for onions in tomato sauce.
Where is your favorite place to grab a hot dog in Connecticut and what do you top it with?