Middlebury Mansion Spontaneously Combusts

Polyurethane foam insulation in the attic of a Middlebury mansion spontaneously combusted Thursday evening, causing the house to go up in flames and destroying the multi-million-dollar mansion, according to fire officials.

The fire took minutes to spread through the 10,000-square-foot estate late Thursday at 725 Breakneck Hill Road. Mutual aid was called in from surrounding towns, according to the fire department.

Assessors records show the home belongs to Larry Janesky, who owns Connecticut Basement out of Seymour.

Jack Teleposky, of Middlebury, a friend of the property's previous owner, has been in the house several times.

"He came into town to try and talk to Larry and comfort him and obviously when you see something like that you need somebody there," Teleposky said, referring to current owner Larry Janesky, who owns Basement Systems in Seymour.

Teleposky described the large entrance foyer where "they used to put a 30- or 40-foot Christmas tree."

All people home at the time of the fire escaped in time. Some of the car collection at the mansion was salvaged, but the home was destroyed.

The Stony Hill Fire Department in Bethel also responded, according to the department's Twitter account.

Firefighters were still on the scene on Friday morning.

No injuries were reported.

Contact Us