A campfire that had been improperly disposed of was to blame for a large brush fire at a local state forest Friday.
The fire sparked sometime during the early evening hours at the Pachaug State Forest and prompted a multi-department response.
Officials noted that they had initially received a report that smoke from the fire could be seen from the homes on Bennett Road near Beach Pond.
"While we understand, common sense isn’t very common in [today's] world, let’s use that organ that sits prominently above our shoulders moving forward," the fire department said in a statement.
Get Connecticut local news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Connecticut newsletters.
Most of the departments tasked with putting the fire out began leaving the scene around 9 p.m.
Those that remained worked throughout the night and part of the day Saturday to extinguish the fire fully, as well as put out hot spots.