old saybrook

Emergency Crews Respond to Walmart in Old Saybrook After Overheated Batteries Cause Vapors

NBCUniversal Media, LLC

Several people got sick from acid gas vapors after batteries in a floor scrubber overheated at Walmart at 665 Old Post Road in Old Saybrook on Wednesday morning, according to officials

Officials from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said 11 people were reported to be sick from the fumes and they were evaluated on scene.

Police said they received a call at 11:15 a.m. and police, fire crews and EMS responded.

DEEP said the floor scrubber was removed from the building and a contractor will dispose of the batteries. DEEP said the building is being vented and it will be checked for vapors.

The local health department will determine when the building can be safely re-opened, according to DEEP.

Contact Us