Fallen Tree Limb During ‘Bomb Cyclone' Causes Propane Leak at Torrington Nursing Home

A tree limb that broke during the “bomb cyclone” caused a propane leak at a nursing home in Torrington early Thursday morning.

Members of the Torrington Fire Department were called at 1:38 a.m. to respond to Litchfield Woods Health Care Center at 255 Roberts St. and determined that a fallen tree limb had broken propane service piping from 6 2000-pound liquid propane tanks.

They worked to protect the patients and staff, who were relocated within the facility and protected while firefighters located and shut down control values to stop the leak.

The facility and surrounding areas were metered and crews from the State Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and the fire marshal’s office responded.

The scene was clear as of 2:48 a.m. 

Officials said this call came amid increased call volume due to winds from the storm. The Torrington Fire Department responded to a total of seven incidents between 1 a.m. to 3:30 am, including one for a carbon monoxide detector, four down power lines and a fire alarm.

Contact Us