Part of Route 1 in Westbrook was closed as crews responded to a fire at a laundromat.
State police said Route 1 was closed near Wesley Avenue because of a fire at the Jet Laundrette, which is located at 755 Boston Post Road.
The fire chief said the call initially came in as a dryer fire and the department had to call in mutual aid to help.
Due to the bitterly cold temperatures, it was necessary to cycle crews to try and give them some relief from the elements. Ice also added some complication for crews.
"Makes a lot of hazards around the fire scene- we had ice almost immediately when we got here," Chief Clifford Spencer with the Westbrook Fire Department said. "As soon as we put water on fire, it would have turn to ice."
No additional information was immediately available.