The former New Britain Rock Cats will be packing up and heading to Hartford, and the team revealed its top 10 name choices at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
The names are as follows:
- Blue Frogs, honoring ” Mark Twain’s "Jumping Frog," and the name of Hartford’s first baseball team, the Dark Blues.
- Choppers, in honor of Connecticut inventing the first helicopter in 1939.
- Hedgehogs, a tribute to the insurance industry.
- Honey Badgers
- Hound Dogs
- Praying Mantic, after Connecticut's state insect
- River Hogs, a tribute to the Hog River that flows under the city of Hartford
- Screech Owls, native to Hartford.
- Whirlybirds, celebrating helicopter manufacturing
- Yard Goats, railroad slang for an engine that switches a train to get it ready for another locomotive to take over.
Hartford will be hosting the newly-named professional baseball team for the first time in 60 years. The new label for the team will be launched in April of 2016.
Fans were given the chance to submit their name ideas as part of an online contest. Today, the team will reveal the top 10 catchiest names chosen by a selection committee.
Local children stood at the podium, where they each announced a finalist name and the explanation on why it should be the winner was give.
You can vote on your top three choices online. Voting ends March 11.