An underground electrical fire in Hartford has forced dozens of people to evacuate from a Department of Correction building.
Fire crews were called to Washington Street around 11 p.m. on Monday after getting a report of an underground electrical fire.
There was heavy smoke showing from multiple manhole covers and the smoke conditions extended to a basement at 119 Washington St., fire officials said.
According to fire officials, the smoke was getting into the DOC facility and forced the building to be evacuated. Thirty-eight adults were evacuated from the building, they added.
CT Transit is providing temporary shelter on-site for the residents who evacuated.
Eversource and Connecticut Natural Gas are at the scene.
It's unclear when the fire will be extinguished.