Ingredients (serves six)
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 ear of corn husked/cut and scraped
- 3 ribs of celery sliced
- 1 small Spanish onion diced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 5 strips of bacon julienne
- 1 small Idaho potato peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flake (crushed red pepper)
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 table spoons unsalted butter
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme picked from stem and chopped
- 18 count neck clams, purged and scrubbed
- 6 each 1/2" thick long slices of ciabatta bread
- Render bacon in heavy bottom pan until crispy then add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add butter and potato and corn and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat. Add flour and cook roux, keeping blonde. Deglaze with white wine and cook off alcohol. Add cream, celery, salt, chili flake and fresh thyme and just bring to simmer.
- Brush ciabatta with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toast on grill or in broiler oven until brown
- In separate large pot with tight fitting lid, steam open clams with 1 c of water. Add chowder and bring back to simmer.
- Plate with toast down first and spoon clams with chowder over top of bread.
- Optional garnish of tarragon oil or fresh parsley.
Rooster Company’s Website: www.roostercompany.net