1 cup All Purpose Flour
½ cup Cornstarch
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Cold Water
2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
Green Tomatoes-cored, sliced ¼” thick
½ cup All Purpose Flour
As Needed Vegetable Oil for Frying
To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
- Sift together into a bowl the first measure of flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, egg, and vegetable oil.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, whisk until smooth. The batter should be a little thinner than pancake batter. If too thick, add more water, if too thin, add more flour. Reserve.
- Heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil to 350ºf.
- Dredge each tomato slice in the second measure of flour and then dip into the batter. Let excess batter drip off and carefully place in the fryer. Fry only 3-4 slices at a time until a light golden color.
- Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Great served with thai sweet chile sauce, soy sauce, ponzu sauce or ranch dressing. Enjoy!