- 1 Large Eggplant-sliced crosswise into eight ¼” slices, skin left on
- 4 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ C. Onions-diced
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Garlic-sliced
- 2 C. Spinach Leaves-washed, dried
- 2 Tbs. Parmesan Cheese
- 1½ C. Ricotta-part skim or whole milk
- 8 Tomato Slices
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
Heat grill on high. Lightly coat the eggplant slices with half of the olive oil. Grill eggplant for about 3 minutes on each side just to soften and obtain grill flavor. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in sauté pan heat remaining olive oil, add onions, cook 30 seconds, add garlic, and then spinach leaves. Toss to wilt spinach just until softened, cool, and chop for filling. To prepare filling, in bowl, combine the ricotta with the spinach mixture, Parmesan and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Lay out the eggplant slices, topping each slice with a spoonful of the ricotta, and top with a tomato slice. Serve warm, or heat in the oven. Serve with your favorite tomato sauce. Serves 4.